Friday, February 02, 2007

So much for family values

I just watched a report on Good Morning America about paid maternity leave for mothers. The US is one of 5 countries that doesn't have paid maternity leave. It's interesting that people were shocked about this. I've been talking about it for 11 years--since I had my first kid. I'm one of those people who probably wouldn't take more than about 3 months, but I still think it should be an option. The worst part of the story was when someone from the labor department--a woman, in fact--said that people should just save their money and plan for these things. Well, when you're talking about a baby, maybe you can, but if your spouse gets cancer? Can't really plan for that. It's the standard right-wing response, though. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. It's not our problem.

USA Today Coverage.