Yes, we celebrated in our own quiet and snowed-in way. There was champagne, a fire, even a champagne glass that almost made it into the fire. But mostly, we allowed ourselves to just be, to not have a next hoop to jump through, to not have to think about where our next move or job would be. It's interesting how, even if you feel pretty good about your chances at tenure, you still think about what you'll do if you don't get it. At least once a week for the last 6 months, we've discussed what we'd do. That's a real burden that you don't even realize is a burden until it's gone.
Some moments from Saturday and Sunday:
- The kids completely mauled Mr. Geeky when he got home.
- After it had sunk in a little, Mr. Geeky stood up with his arms in the air and said, "I'm calling all my ex-girlfriends!" To which, Geeky Girl replied, "What are you gonna say? Na-na-na-na boo-boo?" (apologies to any ex-girlfriends reading this)
- Trips to Best Buy and the bookstore before the snow hit.
- Mythbusters marathon.
- Comfort food.
- Phone calls to and from everyone we know.
- Mr. Geeky telling one of our friends they could now call him dead wood. He has the letter to prove it.