Friday, September 09, 2005

Need organization now

I've been struggling through the last couple of weeks, getting lots accomplished and generally doing a good job of meeting everyone's needs, but I feel like I could do more, both on the work and home front. I desperately need to do what Profgrrrrl did and get my schedule in order. I just haven't had time to breathe, much less get a calendar together. Okay, I could have skipped blogging, but . . . come on.

Mostly it's the after work schedule I need to work on. At work, I need for my schedule to clear a little so I can assess what's going on. This week's after work schedule looked like this:

Tuesday: Went to drug store for school supplies with Geeky Girl. We did actually have a family dinner. (Oh, and this was the great hamster episode night).
Wednesday: Soccer pizza party. Returned home around 7:30.
Thursday: I went to a talk and dinner with the speaker. Very fun, but still a scheduled event.
Friday: Soccer practice for Geeky Boy.

This means, we will have eaten two meals together and that I've been so worn out or out of sorts that I haven't been able to collect my thoughts and get other things done--like working out, writing. Bleh.

Plus, I haven't been able to sleep much. I cannot get to sleep with thinking about the things I need to do or dwelling on the hurricane. I even cut back on the caffeine yesterday--didn't help. What I want to do is get the schedule settled and print it out, so I know what the heck is going on when and I don't have to rely on my feeble brain to remember.

What Now was writing about how everything she's doing feels very mediocre because she's involved in so many things. I feel the same way. And I feel like I need to focus a little, especially on the class, which is going well, but particularly yesterday, I thought I could have done a better job. I have a good group activity planned for next week. I've also got other things going in in my other job--like articles to write, presentations to prepare for, workshops to give. My students who work for me have been a godsend. I've put them on projects, had them take care of little things I haven't had time for and other tasks. They're great.

Despite the lack of a coherent schedule, I haven't felt too out of sorts, just that nagging at the back of my mind that I'm not quite doing everything I could be.