But I think Hurricaine Katrina, the war in Iraq, and, sadly enough, the death of William Rehnquist gives me an in.
- Bush and the Republicans did nothing to protect families after Hurricaine Katrina.
- They didn't help families evacuate even when they knew (or should have known) there were many who didn't have the means to do so
- The financial aftermath could be devastating even for middle class families thanks to the new bankruptcy laws pushed through by the Republicans. Forget sending your children to a good college. You'll be in debt to your eyeballs because you can't declare bankruptcy. It was a natural disaster.
- Unless an anti-war Republican candidate comes along, we'll be in Iraq for a long time to come and we might head over to Iran or North Korea or some other country the administration has decided it doesn't like
- With our military already stretched too thin, another war could mean a draft. My son will not be old enough even in 2012 to be drafted, but if your child is 11 or older, he (or she, for that matter) could be drafted.
- With the death of Rehnquist, Bush now can appoint two justices to the Supreme Court.
- Roe v. Wade might be threatened. Many of you security moms are pro choice. Even if you're not, your daughters might be. Or your daughters might get pregnant or raped and you might decide that abortion is an option. Do you want to have to find a shady back alley doctor to perform it? Or go down to Mexico? Do you want to risk her life like that?
- Erosion of basic rights. With a more conservative Supreme Court, the potential for losing rights increases dramatically. Your and children's right to privacy could be threatened.