Wednesday, February 16, 2005

If I can read two books at once . . .

. . . can I write two books at once? I cheated. I admit it. I cheated on my book by working on another one. But the other one is easier. It had been running around in my head trying to get out for weeks. I had to let it go. Will I get back to the first book? I know I will, cause it's running around in my head too.

None of the advice I read to writers says anything about writing two books at once. Everyone seems to assume that you just plow through one project at a time. I just don't function well that way. Probably yet another reason why I couldn't finish the Ph.D., all that energy focused on one narrow thing. I like change, freshness. I'm not exactly bored with the first project, but I'm rewriting large chunks of it--the first 100 pages, so I'm not writing new stuff, just making the old stuff fresher. So, I needed to have some fresh stuff to write, thus the other book.

I think I'm crazy. I must lack focus or something. The thing is, I've been working on the first book for almost two years now. I can only write at night and on the weekends, very piecemeal, because not every night is conducive to writing. I would like to finish just one project even if it sucks, just to say I did it. I think the second book is more likely to be finished before the first one. We'll see. Of course, if I win the lottery, I might be able to quit my job and finish both.