Friday, January 21, 2005

One heck of a busy day

I didn't pee until 3 o'clock. That's what kind of day it was. I like being busy and the kind of things I was doing were interesting (for the most part), but I need some time to sit back and digest everything that happened.

At 3 o'clock, right before I peed, my office mate, Web Guy, came running over to me in the lab and said, "Did you see the plasma screen go by?" I said, "Is it here?" thinking that Language Guy's new plasma had arrived and Web Guy was on his way over to watch the set up. "No," he says, "your plasma screen." So Web Guy chased down the guys carrying out the plasma, asked them where they think they're going. The department secretary follows quickly, which was a sight to see, let me tell you. As the plasma-carrying guys are loading the plasma into a truck, they tell Web Guy their boss told them to do it. Likely story, said South-Philly-native Web Guy. He tracks down someone, who calls someone who tells him an upper management person arranged for someone else to "borrow" our plasma until their brand new 65" plasma arrives in 3 weeks. Never mind that I'm using the plasma (that's now on a truck on its way to another building) next week and the two following weeks for some workshops. Never mind that I was having a student design a nice slide show to display when the screen was not in use. If the whole scenerio of Web Guy chasing down two guys with a plasma screen in a fit of heroics (followed by the secretary, of course) weren't so damn funny, I'd be really pissed. I was really pissed actually and yelled at several people who had nothing to do with it just to get the yelling out.

After that I had to pee (who wouldn't?). Then I was in the kitchen getting some tea and suddenly starting thinking about Richard Simmons' "Sweating to the Oldies" and went back to tell Web Guy, who was reliving the whole episode with some other co-workers and between Richard Simmons and the whole plasma screen fiasco, we were both in hysterics. People offered us drinks, but I think they thought we should be institutionalized.

By then, it was 4:00, and I finally started checking my e-mail. This weekend, I have to read two books, write, and watch football. Not sure how I'm going to make it.